ZOYA nail polish in ALIXIt perhaps takes two years after giving birth for a new mom to start feeling like a woman again. At least that's how long it took me. On Marie's second birthday I gave myself a mani/pedi; a week later, I've got Victoria Beckham's short bob and super-dark brown Aveda hair color that I have been maintaining with LUSH's Caca Brun ever since.

And about a month later, I have rediscovered the joy of painted nails. Being a devoted green mom, I have ditched all nail polishes when my pregnancy began - and that coincided with my research for THE GREEN BEAUTY GUIDE. Four years ago, natural nail polishes looked yucky and stayed on nails even worse.

While still in Toronto, I discovered ZOYA nail polishes, but the color selection was awkward, and the staying power was so-so, and I quietly passed my new green buys all to my Mom - she was happy (maybe) but at lease she could boast to her veggie friends about an all-natural, toluene-free, formaldehyde-free polishes.

Three years later, ZOYA won my heart - again. The line of nail polishes, once born by a pregnant estethitian Zoya Reitzis (women become so creative when pregnant!) to protect her customers (and of course herself) of toxic fumes, now looks equally sumptuous compared to OPI or Chanel. There's an every imaginable shade of nude from pale pinks to deep beiges; from palest pink ABIGAIL to cute pinkish beige MILEY; there are all shades of red from sparkly crimson to sophisticated deep red wine red; there are gorgeous shades of gold and silver; and of course, all pinks, roses, and mauves you could wish for.

ZOYA nail polishes are all toluene-free, phthalate-free, formaldehyde-free, and pretty much scentless unless you sniff very close. They are remarkably long-lasting, too, with my favourite sparkling red staying on my toes for two weeks without reapplying, under ZOYA top coat, actually.

For me, ZOYA polishes also seem to be completely pregnancy-friendly (although, for the sake of it, I'd recommend not to paint your nails at all while with a bump, but if you really must do it, do it with ZOYA).

These days, I am happily surviving the gloomy (OK, it's supposed to be this way, so stop whining! British rain is such a built-in feature of Britishness, I needn't really whine anymore)... well, Brit winter is much more tolerable with the following ZOYA shades: MARIA, the perfect nude that seemlessly blends with my skin tone; LILY (for my Mom), a cheery warm pink, very upbeat but intelligent at the same time; and the most gorgeous deep red, ALIX, the truest, most luxurious shade of red you'd want to see on your toes peeking from Manolo cutouts.

I know it's silly to choose nail polish shades after the names of your most beloved family members, but it worked perfectly well for me. MARIA for my daughter - she's my skin to skin friend. LILY for my Mom, a bright, cheerful pink that is very intelligent at the same time. ALIX for my Nana - the lady who would wear her French manicure, "rachelle" powder, pink blush, MAGIE NOIRE perfume, and deep red lipstick well into her late 80s, even when she walked her crazy dog. Especially when she walked her crasy dog.

All three shades suit me amazingly well. I will grow into each of them. Dear Zoya, my deepest thanks.