I originally posted how to make ricotta cheese here.  It is so easy, I don't think I will go back to buying ricotta cheese in the store!

However, I decided to change it up a little this weekend.

This all started because I was looking through the freezer, and I saw some ravioli.  I love ravioli!  But, they were not gluten free.  Boo!  So, I had this brilliant idea that I would make some gluten free ravioli, and stuff it with fresh ricotta cheese.  Yum!

The ravioli didn't end up looking so pretty, but definitely tasted good!  I still want to work on using different flours to maybe get a different result, and will post that later!  But the ricotta cheese turned out so good!

Homemade Ricotta Cheese

Print this recipe!

1 gallon milk (I used whole milk)

1 quart low fat buttermilk (low fat gets a creamier ricotta cheese than regular)

1 quart goat's milk

1 tsp salt

Gather all the milks.

m_IMG_6618

Combine in a large stockpot.

Heat to 190 degrees Fahrenheit.

m_IMG_6627

Meanwhile, prepare a place to "drain" the cheese.  I used a 3 gallon bucket with a strainer over it, lined with cheesecloth.

m_IMG_6623

This is the first time I used the disposable cheesecloth from the place I get all my cheesemaking supplies: cheesemaking.com.  I really liked it!  It comes in a wider width, which worked really great.

At this point, the milk will be starting to form curds.

m_IMG_6626

Remove from heat and add in the salt.

Pour into your cheesecloth lined strainer, and let the whey separate from the curds.

When I first poured it in -

m_IMG_6629

And just about 15 minutes later -

m_IMG_6693

Remove from the strainer, and you have ricotta cheese!

You can use this just like you would ricotta cheese.  I found it so creamy and delicious!

m_IMG_6810

I had this brilliant idea to stuff an acorn squash with ricotta cheese and bake until the cheese was melty and delicious, but so have other people.  Doh!  It still is delicious!

m_IMG_6854-1

Ricotta Cheese Stuffed Acorn Squash

Print this recipe!

1 acorn squash, cut in half and the seeds removed

Salt, pepper, Chinese 5 spice powder

1/2 cup ricotta cheese

2 tsp honey

2 tsp chopped pecans

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.

Cut the acorn squash in half – top to bottom.  Remove the seeds.  Place on a baking sheet – cut side up – and add a little water in the bottom of the pan.  This is just to help the acorn squash skin to not burn while it is cooking.

m_IMG_6814

Season each acorn squash half with salt and pepper.

m_IMG_6815

Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 1 hour.  At this point, the squash should be fork tender.

In a bowl, combine the ricotta cheese, honey, and chopped pecans..  Scoop into the squash halves, and sprinkle Chinese 5 spice powder on top.

Bake for another 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is warmed through.

m_IMG_6864-3

Ok, excuse me while I figure out how to eat this!  Spoon? Fork?  Maybe I'll just eat the filling first!

m_IMG_6865-4

So good!