I really love rosemary.  The herb!  (Actually, I don't know anyone named Rosemary!)

m_IMG_6615

I have this rosemary plant, and I have managed to not kill it!  Rosemary is kind of finicky .. it likes a warmer temperature, and not a lot of water.  I have killed one plant before, but this one seems to be doing well!

m_IMG_6614

I just love having a rosemary plant that I can use whenever I want to!  I think rosemary adds such a pungent flavor.  I never buy it dry --  always fresh!  I think the dry rosemary leaves are sooo … dry for lack of a better term!  And the flavor just isn't there.

I was all over creamy, white bean soup after I saw Tracy's post here!  However, I envisioned a rosemary scented white bean soup … mmm!  I just put the sprig of rosemary in the soup while it cooked, and it flavored the soup so wonderfully.  I didn't even process it into the soup, I discarded it, but the fla-vah was still there!

Just a note:  this soup turned out orange because of the carrots.  I didn't mind it however.  It looks so pretty!

IMG_6597-4

Rosemary White Bean Soup

Adapted from here and here

Print this recipe!

2 cups dry white northern beans

2 cloves garlic

1 tbsp salt

2 carrots, peeled and chopped

1 onion, peeled and chopped

1 sprig fresh rosemary, about 3-4 inches long

In a crock pot, place the dried beans and garlic.  Cover with water.  Cook on low for 8-10 hours (overnight), or high for 5-6 hours.

It doesn't matter if you overcook the beans, because they will be pureed anyways.

Add in the salt, and the rest of the ingredients.  If needed, add more water to cover all the ingredients.  Again, it doesn't matter if you add too much water, because this will be pureed.  You can discard any extra liquid that you don't need.  Add the rosemary sprig as is – no need to remove the needles from the stem, just add it in, stem and all.

Cook at least another 3-4 hours, or up to 8 hours.  Again, this will be pureed, so if the veggies overcook, this is fine.  Your crockpot will wait for you!

When ready to eat, remove the rosemary stem and puree the soup.  If there are a few rosemary needles that have fallen off, that is fine – you can puree them in the soup.  When I made this soup, I decided I need an immersion blender!!  Using either an immersion blender, or a regular blender, puree the soup.

IMG_6605-2

Serve!

IMG_6598-3