This last weekend, I was having a serious "what do I want to eat" conundrum.  Nothing sounded good!  Just a little winter funk I suppose.

I asked my husband what sounded good to him.  He said he knew we had some chicken wings in the freezer, and we could have that with my homemade BBQ sauce.

You know, that is what is good about a different perspective.  When it comes to planning meals for me, I am constantly thinking ahead.  I don't prepare many meals that would make just one meal …  I am thinking of the leftovers!  Since both of our work schedules are so crazy, I want to have food that will feed us for a while!

I told him… that is why I am doing the menu planning!  :)  There were 4 chicken wings in the freezer.  Four!  1, 2,3.4. Two for him, and two for me.  Not enough to cure world hunger, or even my hunger!  :)  But, that is what is great about him.  Sometimes my meal ideas are so complicated; a little of this, a little of that, when what does he think of?  Something we already have, and something easy!

This is what I ended up making.  I'm going through a "use up what I have" phase, and that includes lots of beans!  Beans are soooo easy to keep on hand, and so easy to cook up.  I like dry beans, but canned would work just as well.

I actually never knew you could buy CANNED lentils, but you can!  Lentils to me are a super easy bean because they are small, and don't have to cook a long time.

m_IMG_6585-1

Honeyed Lentils with Garbanzo Beans

Adapted from here

Print this recipe!

1 cup dry garbanzo beans (or 1 can cooked beans – drained and rinsed)

1 1/2 cup dry lentils

1/2 large white onion

2 cloves garlic

1 medium carrot, peeled and shredded

1 tbsp salt

6 cups water

2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated

2 tbsp soy sauce

1/4 cup honey

1 dry bay leaf

In a crock pot, pour in the garbanzo beans and the 2 garlic cloves.  Cover with water.  Cook on high for 5-6 hours, or low for 8 hours (overnight).

After this point, the garbanzo beans should be tender, but not completely cooked.  Drain, and put back in the crock pot.  Add in the rest of the ingredients.  Cook on high another 5-6 hours, or low another 8 hours.

Discard the bay leaf, and season to taste with salt/pepper.

Add extra honey if you would like a little sweeter.

To me, this was a combo of a chili, and just a bowl of beans.

m_IMG_6587-2

BTW, I did end up making the chicken wings.  And they were really tasty!