I love pizza.  What is it about dough and cheese?  But, I love making my own pizza.  Doughy crusts with lots of garlic and herbs, sauce, toppings, and cheese.  Yum!

I have my favorite crust, but since going gluten free, pizza is something I only tried once.  It seems the gluten free crusts I have tried all are so thin they don't even come out of the pan  :/  Thus I invented --- let's eat pizza with a fork!

But, this quinoa pizza crust is amazing!  It is sturdy enough to come out of the pan in one piece, and sturdy enough to hold up to sauce and toppings!

m_IMG_5514-2

This sauce also is amazing.  It was perfect on the pizza!

Red Pepper Pasta Sauce

3 red peppers

2 onions

2 cloves garlic

1 cup water

1/2 tsp salt

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Slice the pepper in half and remove the seeds.  Chop the onions, and smash the garlic cloves and remove the skins.  Place all the vegetables on a baking sheet, and roast for 30 minutes,

Remove from oven and let cool for 10 minutes.  When cool, place in the blender with the water.  Blend until smooth. Add salt.

m_IMG_5506

Yum!  I like it because it is slightly chunky (if you have a better blender than I do, you could probably make it totally smooth – but I like that it has a little texture to it.  No sugar!  And totally delicious!

Now for that pizza crust ….

Quinoa Pizza Crust

Adapted from here

1 cup dry quinoa

1/2 cup water

1 tsp Italian seasoning

1 clove garlic, smashed and skin removed

2 tbsp nutritional yeast

1/2 tsp salt

Place the quinoa in a bowl and cover with water.  Let quinoa soak for 8 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Place a medium sized skillet (I used 2 10-inch skillets) in the oven to preheat.

Drain the water from the quinoa, and place in a blender.  Add 1/2 cup water, garlic clove, Italian seasoning, nutritional yeast and salt.  Blend until everything is combined.

Remove the skillets from the oven and spray well with nonstick spray, or add 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil.  Grease the skillets well so the pizza crust will not stick!  Place the greased skillets back in the oven for 3-4 minutes.

Divide the batter between the 2 skillets  If you have a larger skillet, you could use that.  This gave me 2 perfect sized "personal" pizzas.

Cook the pizza crusts for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip them over.  Add the sauce, and whatever toppings you would like.  I used broccoli, tomato, chopped rosemary, and some pineapple.  (I love the sweetness of the pineapple on pizza!)  Add cheese (I used cheddar and feta).  Place back in the oven for 10 more minutes.

m_IMG_5513

The quinoa has to soak for a while, but this is a relatively quick dinner!  The quinoa makes it filling as well!

The crust was amazing – slightly chewy.  Even the husband agreed that it was really good!

m_IMG_5519

This post is linked to Kelly the Kitchen Cop's Real Food Wednesdays