I am hesitant to use a thicker moisturizer because I break out easily. If I need an extra boost of moisture, I apply a few drops of natural facial oil underneath my regular moisturizer.

Only make the switch to a heavier moisturizer if your skin starts to feel dry or tight; and don't worry, if you choose the right one, a thicker lotion won't cause pimples to pop up. The creams that normally cause acne breakouts are oil-based and contain high levels of preservatives like paraben, lanolin, and triethanolamine, explains Jeanine Downie, a dermatologist in Montclair, New Jersey.

So look for the winter moisturizer that is plant-oil, rather than mineral-oil-based and contains a hydrator like hyaluronic acid or plant-derived squalane. Avoid common natural beauty ingredients such as beeswax which tends to harden in cold weather and form pore-plugging film on skin surface.