get paid 3% daily up to 150% for 50 days. no sponsoring requirements. earn upto $10,000 /position get paid 3% daily up to 150% for 50 days. no sponsoring requirements. earn upto $10,000 /position get paid 3% daily up to 150% for 50 days. no sponsoring requirements. earn upto $10,000 /position

Tuesday 10 April 2012

Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy SRC Cream of Buckwheat Cereal

Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy SRC Cream of Buckwheat Cereal

Link to Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy

SRC Cream of Buckwheat Cereal

Posted: 09 Apr 2012 09:00 AM PDT

Thank you for subscribing to Quick and Easy Cheap and Healthy; click here for your free copy of Sizzlin' Soups!

I’d never had Cream of Wheat cereal before, let alone Cream of Buckwheat! But when browsing through this month’s Secret Recipe Club assigned blog, Sustainable Cooking for One, I stumbled across Stephanie’s recipe for cream of buckwheat and determined to give it a try.
Secret Recipe Club
Why buckwheat? For one thing, it’s not related at all to wheat, so it’s safe for my wheat-allergic little guys. For another, it’s not a grain but it cooks and bakes up just like one, which is a really great quality if you’re trying to reduce your grain consumption. I am also intrigued by the fact that (according to Wikipedia), it was widely cultivated in American during the 18th and 19th centuries but was replaced by wheat, which responded better to chemical fertilizers. I always prefer to eat what previous generations ate because I consider them, in general, to be much healthier than our current generation!

I highly recommend that you check out buckwheat for yourself – it comes in a few different forms: flour, kasha (hot cereal/cream of buckwheat) and groats. The groats are the whole “grain” (fruit seed, actually), and are often available in bulk bins at health food stores. I personally prefer to buy the groats because I can grind them up to make either flour or hot cereal. I use my Vitamix to grind them up; if you don’t have one, you’ll probably want to grind them in small portions in a coffee grinder.

A word of warning, though: buckwheat can have a strong flavor if you’re not used to it, especially the flour. I really despised the flavor when I made buckwheat pancakes for my little guys (although they loved it!) from store-bought buckwheat flour, but when I grind it myself, it tastes SO much better. My suggestion is to mix it first with other flours or grains that you do enjoy before trying it straight.

You can also do the same with this cereal: try mixing it with steel cut oats if you’ve never had buckwheat before.

I modified Stephanie’s original recipe only slightly, using strawberries (what I had) instead of the berries she recommends, and significantly increasing the amounts in the recipe to make one large batch.

This is not as QUICK as instant oatmeal; but about the same time as steel cut oats.

It’s very EASY; you can skip the extra soaking step if you want, but it increases the cooking time.

Buckwheat groats are not as CHEAP as more common grains, but they’re definitely affordable.

And they’re very HEALTHY; buckwheat has great antioxidants and high levels of magnesium. It’s also an excellent source of fiber and protein, making it an excellent candidate for a healthy breakfast!

Be sure to browse around Sustainable Cooking for One for more great healthy recipe ideas, and tell Stephanie I sent you! And check out the Secret Recipe Club website to find out more about this regular monthly event and how to join in on the fun!


No comments:

Post a Comment